Sabtu, 14 Juli 2018

Sponsored Links

Greek language | Britannica.com
src: cdn.britannica.com

The ancient Greek verb has four moods (indicative, imperative, subjunctive and optative), three voices (active, middle and passive), and three (first, second and third) and three (single, double and plural).

In an indicative atmosphere there are seven forms of words: present, imperfect, future, aoris (equal to the simple past), perfect, perfect, and perfect in the future. (The last two, especially the perfect future, are rarely used). However, in subjungtive and imperative moods, there are only three word forms (now, AORIST, and perfect). The optical, infinitive and participatory atmosphere is found in four tenses (present, aorist, perfect, and future) and all three sounds. The differences in "tenses" in moods other than indicative are mostly aspects and not time.

Different people from the Greek verb are shown by changing the verb-ending; e.g. ??? ( lÃÆ'º? ) "I free", ????? ( lÃÆ'ºeis ) "You are free", ???? ( lÃÆ'ºei ) "he is free", etc. There are three people in singular form ("I", "you (singular)", "him, him, that"), and three in plurals ("we", "you (plural)", "them"). In addition there is an end for the second and third persons doubles ("you two", "them both"), but this is only very rarely used.

A distinction is traditionally made between so-called "athematic" verbs (also called mi -verbs), with the tip embedded directly into the root, and thematic a class of verbs that presents the vowel "thematic" /o/ or /e/ before it expires. Edge is divided into primary (used in the present, future, perfect and perfect future of indicative, as well as subjunctive) and secondary (used in AORIST, IMPERFECT, and PLUPERFECT of INDICATIVE, and also OPTative).

To create the past tense of the indicative mood, vocals ? - ( e - ), called "augment", beginning with a verb bar, eg aorist ? - ???? ( ÃÆ' Â ¢ -gupa ) "I was released", imperfect ? - ???? ( ÃÆ' Â © -luon ) "I'm free". This increase is only found in the indicative, not in another atmosphere or in the infinitive or participatory. To make perfect tense, the first consonant is "reduplicated", that is, repeated with vowel e ( ?????? ( lÃÆ' Â © wound ) "I have freed", title ??????? ( gÃÆ' Â © grapha )" I have written "), or in some cases the addition is used instead of reduplication (eg ?????? ( h? ÃÆ'ºr? Ka )" I have found "). In contrast to the addition of past tenses, reduplication or improvement is maintained in all situations of perfect tense and in perfect infinitive and participle.

The Ancient Greek verbal system retains almost all Proto-Indo-European complexity (PIE). Ancient Greece also retains the middle voice of PIE and adds passive voice, with a separate form only in the future and AORIST (elsewhere, the middle shape is used).


Video Ancient Greek verbs



Thematic and athematic verbs

The ancient Greek verbs can be divided into two groups, thematic (where the thematic vowel /e/ or /o/ is added before the end, for example ?? -? - ??? ( lÃÆ'º-o-men )" we are free "), and athematic (where the end is attached directly) to the stem, for example ?? - ??? ( es-mÃÆ' Â © n ) "us". much more thematic verbs.

Thematic verbs

Active verbs

The thematic verbs, in the first single person of the current active tense, end with -? ( -? ). This is very much, for example, ???? ( lÃÆ' Â © g? ) "I say", ????? ( grÃÆ'¡ph? ) "I write", ??? ?? ( pÃÆ' Â © mp? ) "I send", etc. The end of this tendency becomes commonplace:

  • ????, ??????, ?????, (???????,? ??????,) ???????, ??????, ??????? (?)
lÃÆ' Â © g, lÃÆ' Â © geis, lÃÆ' Â © gei, (lÃÆ' Â © geton, lÃÆ' Â © geton,) la gomen, l'a gete, lÃÆ' Â © gousi (n)
I say, you say, he/she says, (both of you say, both of them said,) we say, you pl. ) say, they say

The forms in brackets are double figures, used for two, and only those in the 2nd and 3rd persons; it's a bit rare, but sometimes it's still used by writers like Aristophanes and Plato:

  • ?????? ?? ??? ??????? ????? ??????? .
HÃÆ'³m? rós te kaÃÆ'¬ H? sÃÆ'odos tautÃÆ' lÃÆ'Â © geton .
Homer and Hesiod both say the same thing.

The current active infinitive of the thematic verbs is - ??? ( -ein ), eg ?????? ( lÃÆ' Â © gein ) "says".

The middle verb

The thematic verbs are also found in the middle of the sound, with the first person ending single - ???? ( -omai ) eg ??????????? ( apokr ?? nomai ) "I replied", ???????? ( gÃÆ'gnomai ) "I became". The end of present tense goes as follows:

  • - ????, - ??/-?, - ????, (- ?????, - ?????), - ?????, - ????, - ?????
-omai, -ei/-? i, -etai, (-esthon, -esthon), - ometha, -esthe, -ontai
Me, you (single), he/she, (both of you), us, you (plural), they

Infinitive being present is - ????? ( -esthai ), for example ????????????? ( apokr ?? nesthai ) "to answer".

Many middle voice noises, like ??????????? ( apokr ?? nomai ) "I replied", is deponent , that is, they do not have the appropriate active form. Other middle verbs, such as ??????? ( paÃÆ'ºomai ) "I pause (do something)" (intransitive), has the appropriate active form : ???? ( paÃÆ'º? ) "I stop (something)" (transitive).

Passive verb

Passive verbs, in the present, imperfect, and perfect forms, have the exact suffixes like the middle verb. An example is ???????? ( in? komai ) "I'm pursuing" and ????????? ( keleÃÆ'Âomomai ) "I was ordered (by someone)".

However, in the aorist tense, they are different from the middle verbs because they use the end of the - ???? ( -sth? N ), - ??? ( -th? n ), or - ?? ( -? n ), for example ???????? ( edi? Khth? n ) "I'm chased", ?????????? ( ekeleÃÆ'ºsth? n ) "I am instructed", ??????? ( eblÃÆ'¡b? n ) "I am harmed"; while the middle verb tends to have an aorist that ends with - ????? ( -sÃÆ'¡m? n ), - ???? ( -ÃÆ'¡m? N ), or -? ??? ( -ÃÆ'³m? n ), for example title ????????? ( epausÃÆ'¡m? N ) "I stopped", ??????????? ( apekrinÃÆ'¡m? n ) "I replied", ?????? ?? ( egenÃÆ'³m? n ) "I became".

Verb contract

A special class of thematic verbs is a contracted verb. In this dictionary entered as end - ?? ( -ÃÆ'¡? ), - ?? ( -ÃÆ' Â ©? ) or - ?? ( -ÃÆ'³? ), for example ???? ( horÃÆ'¡? ) "I see", ????? ( poiÃÆ' Â ©? ) "I do", ????? ( d? lÃÆ'³? ) "I show"; but in many cases when they are found in the text, the vowel ?,?,? ( a, e, o ) contract with ending to create a single vowel. Thus the present tense ???? ( horÃÆ'¡? ) "I understand" is as follows:

  • ??? , ????, ???, (??????, ??????,) ??????, ?????, ????? (?)
horiz, hora is, ton,) horÃÆ'Â Â'men, horÃÆ'Â ¢ te, horÃÆ'Â,si (n)
I see, you see, he/she sees, (you both see, they both see,) we see, you pl. see, they see

While the present tense of ????? ( poiÃÆ' Â ©? ) "I do" is as follows:

  • ???? , ??????, ?????, (???????, ????????,) ????????, ??? ????, ??????? (?)
poiÃÆ'Â', poieÃÆ'®s, poieÃÆ'®, (poieÃÆ'®ton, poieÃÆ'®ton,) poioÃÆ'Â »Men, poieÃÆ'®te, poioÃÆ'» si (n)
I do, you do, he/she/it, (you both do, they both do,) we do, you (plural) do, they do

And the present tense of ????? ( d? LÃÆ'³? ) "I show" is as follows:

  • ???? , ??????, ?????, (?? ??????, ????????,) ????????, ??? ?????, ??????? (?)
d? lÃÆ'Â', d? loÃÆ'®s, d? loÃÆ'®, (d? loÃÆ'Â »ton, d? loÃÆ'» ton,) d? loÃÆ'Â »men, d? loÃÆ'Â »te, d? loÃÆ'Â »si (n)
My show, you show, he/she/it showed (both shows, they both showed) we showed you (plural) show, they show

Current active infinitive of the three types of contracted verbs are ???? ( horÃÆ' Â ¢ n ) "to see", ?????? ( poieÃÆ'®n ), "to do", ?????? ( d? loÃÆ' Â »n )" is displayed ".

Verbs of the contract are also found in middle and passive sounds, eg ?????????? ( aphiknÃÆ' © © omai ) "I arrived" and ???????? ( timÃÆ'¡omai ) "I'm honored".

The atematic verb

Active

The Athematic verb has - ?? ( -mi ) in the first person singular from the current time, eg ???? ( eimÃÆ' ) "I am", ???? ( ph? mÃÆ' ) "I say", ?????? ( dÃÆ'd? Mi ) "I gave", ???? ?? ( hÃÆ'st? mi ) "I'm standing (transitive)". In the middle vote, they end - ???, eg ?? ????? ( dÃÆ'ºnamai ) "I can". Current time form ???? ( eÃÆ'®mi ) "I (will) go" is generally used with the meaning of the future in the period classic.

This verb presents many irregularities in the conjugation. For example, the present tense ???? ( eimÃÆ' ) "I" goes as follows:

  • ???? , ??, ???? (?), (?????, ?????,) ?????, ????, ???? (?)
eimÃÆ', eÃÆ'®, estÃÆ' (n), (estÃÆ'³n, estÃÆ'³n,) esmÃÆ' Â © n, estÃÆ' Â ©, eisÃÆ' (n)
Me, you, him/her/it, (both of you, both of them), we, you (plural) are, they are.

Current shape of verb ???? ( ea Âmi ) "I (will) go"

  • ???? , ??, ???? (?), (????, ????,) ????, ???, ???? (?)
eÃÆ'®mi, eÃÆ'®, eÃÆ'®si (n), (ÃÆ'ton, ÃÆ'ton,) ÃÆ'men, ÃÆ'te, ÃÆ'? Si (n)
I will go, you will go, he will go, (you two will go, they will both go), we will go, you (plural) will go, they will go.

While the present tense of ?????? ( dÃÆ'd? mi ) "I give" as follows:

  • ?????? , ?????, ?????? (?), ???????, ??????, ??????? (?)
dÃÆ'd? mi, dÃÆ'd? s, dÃÆ'd? si (n), dÃÆ'domen, dødd, didÃÆ'³? si (n)
I give, you give, he gives, we give, you (plural) give, they give

Dual of this verb, theoretically ??????? ( dÃÆ'doton ), not found.

The active infinitive of the athematic verb ends in - ??? ( -nai ), eg ????? ( eÃÆ'®nai ) "to be", ????? ( iÃÆ' Â © nai ) "to go", ??????? ( didÃÆ'³nai ) "giving".

Middle

Atematic verbs are also found in the middle voice, for example ??????? ( hÃÆ'stamai ) "I stand" or ??????? ( dÃÆ'ºnamai ) "I can", with the end as follows:

  • - ???, - ???, - ???, (- ????, - ????) , - ????, - ???, - ????
-mai, -sai, -tai, (-sthon, -sthon), -metha, -sthe , -no
Me, you (single), he/she, (both of you), us, you (plural), they

The infinitive is - ???? ( -sthai ).

Verb ???? ( oÃÆ'®da )

The verb ???? ( oÃÆ'®da ) "I know", irregular. The edges are athematic thematic forms, and go as follows:

  • ????, ?????, ???? (?), (?????, ????,) ?????, ????, ????? (?)
    , ÃÆ'ste, ÃÆ's? Si (n)
I know, you know, he knows, (both of you know, they both know), we know, you (plural) know, they know

Infinitive ???? ( oÃÆ'®da ) is ??????? ( eidÃÆ' Â © nai ) "know".

Maps Ancient Greek verbs



Tenses

System strain

The Ancient Greek verbal system has seven tense-aspect forms, traditionally called "tenses" ( ?????? , khrÃÆ'³noi , single ?????? , khrÃÆ'³nos ). The temporal differences only appear in the indicative mood as shown in the table below:

In subjungtive and imperative moods, however, only three forms of words are used, and they distinguish only aspects, not time:

The optical atmosphere also uses these three forms of words, but there is also the future of optics, which is used primarily to report indirectly what will be the indication of the future in direct talks.

Ancient Greeks did not have the perfect progressive or perfect progressive past. Thus, the meaning of "he has done" is usually expressed with present tense, and "he has done (previously)" expressed with tense imperfect:

????? ?? ??? ??? ???? ?? ?? ?????.
pollÃÆ'¡ ge ÃÆ' Â © t? ? d? eimÃÆ'¬ en tÃÆ'ªi tÃÆ' Â © khn? i.
I have ( lit up. I) in this business for many years now.
?? ?????? ???? ?? ? ????????? .
tÃÆ'² ploÃÆ'®on hÃÆ'ªken en hÃÆ'Â'i ep ?? nomen .
Boats arrive where us (previous) drink .

The formation of tenses

For more information on the end, see Ancient Greek grammar (table).

The main part of the verb

The Ancient Greek Dictionary usually gives six main sections for each verb. For example, for the verb ??????? ( paideÃÆ'º? ) "I teach, train" six sections are as follows:

  • ??????? , ????????, ???? ?????, ??????????, ???????????, ??????????
paideÃÆ'º ?, paideÃÆ'ºs ?, epaÃÆ'deusa, pepaÃÆ'deuka, pepaÃÆ'deumai, epaideÃÆ'ºth? n
I teach, I will teach, I teach, I have taught, I have been taught, I was taught

The main parts are this:

  • Currently: ??????? ( paideÃÆ'º? ) "I teach"
Suffix: -? - ??? - ?? (- ???? - ????) - ???? - ??? - ???? (?)
  • The future is tense: ???????? ( paideÃÆ'ºs? ) "I will teach"
Suffix: - ?? - ???? - ??? (- ????? - ?????) - ????? - ???? - ????? (?)
  • Aorist tense: ????????? ( epaÃÆ'deusa ) "I teach"
Suffix: - ?? - ??? - ?? (?) (- ????? - ?????) - ????? - ???? - ???
  • Perfectly strung: ?????????? ( pepaÃÆ'deuka ) "I have taught"
Suffix: - ?? - ??? - ?? (?) (- ????? - ?????) - ????? - ???? - ???? (?)
  • Right or passive middle tension: ??????????? ( pepaÃÆ'deumai ) "I have been taught"
Suffix: - ??? - ??? - ??? (- ???? - ????) - ???? - ??? - ????
  • Passive aorist tense: ?????????? ( epaideÃÆ'ºth? N ) "I was taught"
Suffix: - ??? - ??? - ?? (- ????? - ?????) - ????? - ???? - ?????

Other forms of words

Other forms of words can be formed on this basis. For example, imperfect tense ????????? ( epaÃÆ'deuon ) "I'm teaching" based on this bar with the addition of ? - ( ÃÆ' Â © - ) (called "augment", see below), and pluperfect ??????????? ( epepaideÃÆ'ºk? ) "I have taught" is formed from a perfect bar:

  • The imperfect tense: ????????? ( epaÃÆ'deuon ) "I'm teaching", "I was teaching"
Suffix: - ?? - ?? -? (?) (- ???? - ????) - ???? - ??? - ??
  • Pluperfect Voltage: ??????????? ( epepaideÃÆ'ºk? ) "I have taught"
Suffix: - ?? (- ????) - ?? (- ????) - ??? (?) (-) - ????? - ???? - ?????

Future and Aorist without sigma

Not all verbs have future phrases created with -? - ( -s - ). Some, especially those whose trunk ends in ?,?,?,? ( l, m, n, r ) like ??????? ( angÃÆ' Â © ll? ) "I announce" and ???? ( male? ) "I remain", has a contract period, with the end like a verb ????? ( poiÃÆ' Â ©? ). This same verb usually has an aorist without sigma:

  • The future is contracted: ?????? ( angelÃÆ'Â' ) "I will announce"
Suffix: -? - ??? - ?? (- ????? - ?????) - ????? - ???? - ???? (?)
  • Aorist without sigma: ??????? ( ngeila ) "I announce"
Suffix: -? - ?? -? (?) (- ???? - ????) - ???? - ??? - ??

Strong Aorist

Some common verbs, not the usual (weak) AORIST tense that ends - ?? , has an aorist ending in - ?? etc. just as imperfect; this is known as the "strong" or "second" aorist aorist. However, it is different from the imperfect in which the verb is different. So the linguist from ???? ? ( pheÃÆ'ºg? ) "I escape" is ? ??? ?? ( ÃÆ' Â © phugon ) "I escape", with the title bar > ??? - ( phug - ), in contrast to imperfect ? ??? ??? ( ÃÆ' Â © pheugon ), with the stem ???? - ( pheug - ).

This is a very rare form of AORIST that very few verbs are used. One example is the verb ????? ( baÃÆ'n? ), "I go", which became ???? ( ÃÆ' Â © b? n ).

Lack of regular main part

However, it does not mean all Ancient Greek verbs are so common in their main part as ??????? ( paideÃÆ'º? ). For example, the verb ??????? ( lambÃÆ'¡n? ) "I take" has the following sections:

  • ??????? , ???????, ????? ?, ??????, ????????, ???????
lambÃÆ'¡n?, l? psomai, ÃÆ' Â © labon, eÃÆ'l? pha, eÃÆ'l? mmai, el? phth? n
I take it, I will take it, take it, I take it, I have taken it, I am taken

As can be seen, the bar used ( ?????? -, ??? -, ??? -, ??? - ) ( lambÃÆ'¡n-, l? ph-, lab-, l? ph - ) etc. vary from tense to strained. They all come from the same root, but the stems used in the present tense, ??????? ( lambÃÆ'¡n? ), has an additional ? ( m ) and ?? ( an ); in other tenses, the root vowels vary between ? ( a ) and ? ( ? ); and the final consonant, ? , changed by assimilating into ? ( ps ) or ? ( m ), or with aspirations to ? ( ph ).

Verbs ( ??? ) ( ÃÆ'¡g? ) "I'm leading" in:

  • ??? , ???, ??????, ???, ?? ???, ?????
ÃÆ'¡g ?, ÃÆ'¡x?,? gagon, ÃÆ'ªkha, ÃÆ'ªgmai ,? khth? n
I lead, I will lead, I lead, I lead, I have led, I was led

Both verbs above have "strong aorist" or "second aorist" ending with - ?? ( -on ) than the usual - ?? ( -sa ), and the perfect word form has an aspirated consonant ?,? ( ph, kh ) before the end of ? ( k ).

Tenses ?????? ( dod? mi ) "I give"

  • ?????? , ????, ?????, ??? ???????
dÃÆ'd? mi, d? s?, ÃÆ' Â © d? ka, dÃÆ'Â © d? ka, dÃÆ'Â © domai, edÃÆ'³th? N
I give, I will give, I give, I give, I have been given (to someone), I was given (to someone)

The aorist of the verb is irregular, because it ends in ?? ( ka ). However, this is ? ( k ) is found only in singleton, and disappears in plural form, for example 3 pl. ?????? ( ÃÆ' Â © dosan ) "they gave". The verb ?????? ( tÃÆ'th? mi ) "I put" and ???? ( hÃÆ'? mi ) "I send" similar, with theorists < span lang = "grc" title = "Ancient Greek Text"> ????? ( ÃÆ' Â © th? Ka ) 3 pl. ?????? ( ÃÆ' Â © thesan ) and ??? ( hÃÆ'ªka ) 3 pl. ????? ( heÃÆ'®san ) respectively.

However, ?????? ( hÃÆ'st? Mi ) "I stand (something)" does not follow this pattern and has an aorist different:

  • ?????? , ?????, ?????? (trans.)/ ????? (intrans.), ?????? (intrans.), ???????, ???????
hÃÆ'st? mi, st? s?, ÃÆ'Â © st? to/ÃÆ'Â © st? n, hÃÆ'ÃÆ'Â © st? Ka, hÃÆ'Â © stamai, estÃÆ'¡th? N
I stand (something), I will stand (something), I stand (something)/I stand, I stand/stand, I stand, I stand/

Verbs using more than one stem

In some verbs the main parts are even more irregular than this, and like the English verb "go, go, been/gone", use different verbs to create different word shapes. For example, the verb ???? ( phÃÆ' Â © r? ) "I carry, I bear" The following main uses a rod of three different verbs:

  • ???? , ????, ??????/???? ???, ???????, ?????????, ???????
phÃÆ' Â © r ?, oÃÆ's?,? nenka/? nenkon, en? nokha, en? negmai,? nÃÆ' Â © khth? n
I take it, I take it, I take it, I take it, I am taken, I am taken

???? ( horÃÆ'¡? ) "I see" is another verb made of root of three different roots, ie ??? ( horÃÆ'¡ ), ?? ( op ) and ?? ( id ) (the last of these, which was originally pronounced ??? - ( wid - ), related to Latin root verb video ):

  • ???? , ??????, ?????, ??? ???/??????, ???????? ?????, ?????
horÃÆ'¡?, ÃÆ'³psomai, eÃÆ'®don, heÃÆ'³r? ka/he? r? ka, he? r? mai/ÃÆ'Â'mmai ,? phth? n
I see, I will see, I see, I have seen, I have been seen, I look

??????? ( ÃÆ'Â © rkhomai ) "I came" or "I'm gone" unorganised. The verb has only four main parts, since there is no passive:

  • ??????? , ??????????? ?, ?????, ???????
ÃÆ'Â © rkhomai, eleÃÆ'ºsomai/eÃÆ'®mi, ÃÆ'ªlthon, el? lutha
I come/go, I will come/go, I come/go, I have come/gone

This verb is made more complex by the fact that in Attic Greek (ie, the dialect of most major classical authors), present tense (independent of the indicative indicative), imperfect tense, and the future is usually replaced by parts of the irregular verb ???? ( eÃÆ'®mi ) "I (will) go": Indication ???? ( eÃÆ'®mi ) is generally used with future significance in the classical period ("I will go" ) but other parts like infinitive ????? ( he  © nai ) "to go" is not the future in the sense.

Past-tense strengthening

The past three forms (imperfect, aorist, and pluperfect), in the classical period, are made by adding the ? - ( e - ), called "augment", at the beginning of the verb. So from ????? ( grÃÆ'¡ph? ) "I wrote" created:

  • ? ?????? ( ÃÆ' Â © graphon ) "I'm writing"
  • ? ????? ( ÃÆ' Â © grapsa ) "I write"
  • ? ??????? ( e gegrÃÆ'¡ph? ) "I have written"

This past reinforcement is found only in the indicative mood, not in subjunctive, infinitive, participle, or any other part of the verb.

When a verb begins with a vowel, the addition usually fuses with the vowel to make long vowels. Thus /e/ /a/ & gt;/?/, /e/ /e/ & gt;/?/(Sometimes /ei/), /e/ /i/ & gt;/?/, /e/ /o/ & gt;/?/etc:

  • ? ??? ( ÃÆ'ª gon ) "I lead", from ??? ( ÃÆ'¡g? ) "I lead"
  • ?? ??? ( eÃÆ'® khon ) "I have, I hold" from ? ?? ( ekh ) "I have, I hold"
  • ? ???? ( i koun ) "I live in", from < span lang = "grc" title = "Ancient Greek Text"> ??? ?? ( oikÃÆ' Â ©? ) "I live in"

When a verb starts with a preposition prefix, the addition usually runs after the prefix (although there are some verbs where it goes before the prefix, or even in both places):

  • ??? ? ??? ( kat ÃÆ' Â © b? n ) "I'm down" , from ????????? ( katabaÃÆ'n? ) "I went down"
  • ?? ?? ?? ( a ÃÆ' Â ©? i xa ) or ? ????? ( ? noixa ) "I opened", from ????????? ( anoÃÆ'gnumi ) "I opened"

In Homer, and occasionally at Herodotus, augment is sometimes omitted.

Perfect tenses

The perfect strain is formed by repeating the first consonant of the stem with the vowel ? ( e ). This is known as "reduplication":

  • ?? ????? ( gÃÆ' Â © grapha ) "I have written", from ????? ( grÃÆ'¡ph? ) "I write"
  • ?? ????? ( becomes bÃÆ'? ka ) "I have lived", from ? ??? ( biÃÆ'³? ) "I pass my life"
  • ?? ???? ( dÃÆ' Â © d? ka ) "I have given" , from ? ????? ( dÃÆ'd? mi ) "I give"

When the first consonant of the verb is aspired (?,?,? ) ( th, ph, kh ), reduplication is made with an unaspirated consonant equivalent (?,?,? ) ( t, p, k ):

  • ?? ????? ( tÃÆ' Â © yr ) "I have died" , from (???) ?????? ( [apo] thn? isk? ) "I'm dead"
  • ?? ????? ( pÃÆ' Â © pheuga ) "I have run away", from ?? ??? ( (pheÃÆ'ºg? ) "I escape"
  • ?? ?????? ( to khÃÆ'¡r? ka ) "I'm very happy" , from ????? ( khaÃÆ'r? ) "I'm happy"

When does a verb begin with a vowel, ? ( z ) or with a consonant combination such as ?? ( gn ) or ??? ( str ), instead of reduplication, the addition is used:

  • ?? ???? ( h? ÃÆ'º r? ka ) "I have found" , from ??????? ( heurÃÆ'sk? ) "I found"
  • ? ???? ( h? i r? ka ) "I have captured" , from ? ???? ( hairÃÆ' Â ©? ) "I caught"
  • ? ????? ( ÃÆ' Â © gn? ka ) "I have learned" , from ? ??????? ( gign? sk? ) "I learned" (with root ??? - , gn? - )

A more complex type of reduplication is found in:

  • ?? ???? ( ak ? koa ) "I have heard", from < span lang = "grc" title = "Ancient Greek text"> ????? ( akoÃÆ'º? ) "I heard"
  • ?? ????? ( el ? lutha ) "I have come", from < span lang = "grc" title = "Ancient Greek Text"> ?? ??? ( ÃÆ'ªlthon ) "I'm coming"

In contrast to past reinforcement, reduplication or tension-perfect addition is found in every part of the perfect form, including infinitive and participatory.

Meaning of the verb

The meaning of the word form is as follows:

Current form

Currently (Greek ??????? ( enest? s ) "standing inside") can be imperfect or perfect, and translated "I do (now)", "I do (regularly)", "I'm doing (now ) ":

?????? ?????? ????? .
ÃÆ'³mn? mi pÃÆ'¡ntas theoÃÆ'ºs .
I swear by all the gods!
??? ????? ??? .
tÃÆ'²n ÃÆ'¡ndra horÃÆ'Â' .
I saw the man!
???? ????? ?????? ,? ????????.
? eÃÆ'¬ tautÃÆ' lÃÆ' Â © geis , ÃÆ'Â'S? krates.
You always say the same thing, Socrates!
"? ????????," ???, "??????? ??? ????????? ; "
"ÃÆ'Â'S? krates," ÃÆ' Â © ph?, "egr? goras? katheÃÆ'ºdeis ?"
"O Socrates," he said, "are you awake, or are you sleeping?"

Present tense is often used in historical narratives, especially to describe interesting moments:

?????? ?? '????? ??? ????????? .
h ?? eto ep 'autÃÆ'²n kaÃÆ'¬ titr? skei .
He threw himself at him and injured him.

Imperfect tense

The imperfect tense (Greek ??????????? ( paratatikÃÆ'³s )" to extend ", from ????????? ( parateÃÆ'n? ) "extend") is used only in the indicative mood. This often shows a sustainable situation in the past, rather than an event. This can be translated as "doing," "used to do," "will do," etc., referring to a progressive, customary, or sustainable situation:

? ??????? ???? ???? ?????? ? ????????.
ho lokhagÃÆ'²s? idei hÃÆ'³pou ÃÆ' Â © keito h? epistol ?.
The captain knows where the letter is lying .
????????????????????? ???? ? ??????? ????????? ??????? ?????????? ??? ?????.
estratopedeÃÆ'ºonto hekÃÆ'¡stote apÃÆ' Â © all contents? l? n parasÃÆ'¡ng? n kaÃÆ'¬ plÃÆ' Â © on.
Every night (two soldiers) will be camping parasang or more separated from each other.
????? ????? ?????? ????? ????????
taÃÆ' Â »ta polÃÆ'¹n khrÃÆ'³non hoÃÆ'ºt? s egÃÆ'gneto .
These things are done like this for a long time.

Often "start doing" is a possible translation:

??????????? ???? ??????? ???????? , ???????? , ????????? , ?????????? .
sumbalÃÆ'³ntes t ?? s aspÃÆ'das e? thoÃÆ'Â »nto , emÃÆ'¡khonto , apÃÆ' Â © kteinon , apÃÆ' Â © yr? iskon .
Throwing their shields, they start pushing , fight , kill and dying .
???? ?? ??????? ?? ??????? ???? .
metÃÆ' ta deÃÆ'®pnon tÃÆ'² paidÃÆ'on ebÃÆ'³a .
After dinner, the baby begins to cry
?????? ?? ??? ???????, ????????? ??? ???????.
epeid? dÃÆ'¨ hÃÆ' Â ©? s egÃÆ' Â © neto, diÃÆ' bainon t? n gÃÆ' Â © ph? ran.
And when dawn arrives, they start to cross the bridge.

As mentioned above, imperfect ones can also mean "have done", referring to an existing situation earlier than the time of the main verb:

?????????? ??? ???? ??????? ?????????????? .
apÃÆ' Â © steilan tÃÆ' s naÃÆ' Â »sh ?? sper pareskeuÃÆ'¡zonto .
They sent the ship they have prepared .
????????? ?????? ? ????? ??? ??????? .
eis? gagon i? trÃÆ'²n hÃÆ'Â'i pollÃÆ' ÃÆ' Â © t? ekhr? m? n
I bring a doctor I've been using for years.

However, although imperfect usually describes the situation, it is often used in narratives where English will use a simple past, especially with verbs that mean "send", "go", "say", and "command":

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments